Tuesday, November 30, 2021

November blog

 

Service hours this month: 6

Total service hours: 12

    For my November blog, I wanted to reflect on Thanksgiving and the service work I did last week. I enjoyed my time off, and I am looking forward to finishing up the semester over the next couple weeks. I spent Wednesday volunteering at Jesuit High School to help with the Thanksgiving drive. I graduated from Jesuit in 2015, and the Thanksgiving drive is an annual tradition for students and alumni. Entire Thanksgiving meals are bought, packaged, and delivered to hundreds of families in need around the New Orleans area. My graduating class raised money to feed 30 out of the nearly 600 total families this year. On Wednesday morning, my former classmates and I worked to organize the meals and package them together, making sure every family got what they needed. After that, we loaded the meals into our cars and drove around the city in pairs to deliver the food. My friend Mark and I delivered food to five different families. 

    I enjoyed talking to each family, and it’s a great experience to be able to help people in such a direct way. Helping others is something that is important to me, and it is one of the main reasons that I want to be a physician. I spent my Thanksgiving eating good food, watching football, and relaxing with family. I am thankful for everything that I have, especially my friends and family. Volunteering for the Thanksgiving drive makes me appreciate these things even more. Thanksgiving is a special holiday, and I am glad to have helped make sure that others who are less fortunate were able to enjoy their Thanksgiving dinner as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

April blog

 Service hours this month: 6 Service hours this semester: 12 This past Friday after our final Cell Control exam, I completed my service hour...